Let’s Make Good Productions presents !WONDER WOMEN
As always, we are spreading EMPOWERMENT through a night of music and visual art!
$10 cover / $8 artists
Hosted by me! Kat Leonard
Featuring live music by: Roveena, Arlene Music, and Emily Rockarts
Visual art and live painting by: Carla Casanova
Friday February 9, 2018
The Painted Lady
218 Ossington Avenue, Toronto
Sometimes, in a world filled with quinoa and kale, you just want a white bagel double-toasted brown with creamed cheese dripping all over your face. By popular demand, I am posting a snippet of my parody of Ms B’s hit which I performed for the first time as part of LMG Productions’ Wonder Women series.
Here is I Want a Bagel
I’ll be performing it again live this Sunday August 30th at the Secret Handshake Series 170 Baldwin Street in Kensington Market 2:00-5:00pm. Come if you can!
This is especially posted for you and your friends, Derek! I hope you all enjoy and I hope to see you again at a live show– where the magic explodes! 🙂
Happy final daze of summer, everybuddy!
I’ve been dieting since I was 8 years old when an innocent remark became a lifelong obsession. After years being the sturdiest kid of my peers, I wondered just how much bigger I was gonna get. So at 8 years old I ask my mom, “Mommy, how big am I gonna get?” She innocuously explains that I will reach my final size by the time I’m 12. Of course, she means that my skeleton will have stopped growing by then and my basic body type set. But at 8 years old I take this explanation to mean that whatever I looked like at the age of 12 would be what I would look like FOREVER. With a slight sense of panic, my 8-year-old self suddenly knew that I had just four years to get myself into shipshape perfection. Well, four years seemed so far away– a whole half of my life at the time– that I kept putting it off until Monday, a putting-off process that I continued leading up to my 12-year mark and well past for decades later. And to this day— well, it’s not Monday yet, is it?
I read once that 1% of what we are is visible and touchable and the remaining 99% of us is a lot of something else. That’s a lot of us that has nothing to do with what we look like. And if we think about all the changes our physical body goes through, it’s ridiculous to identify ourselves with the mere 1% of our being that is so transient. Am I a teetering toddler? A blond virgin? A witty old lady to be? It doesn’t matter what vehicle we travel in. What matters is the destination and journey. But the vehicle is valuable nonetheless and we need to take care of it and be grateful for it because it’s what allows us to navigate the world, to affect the world and to be affected by it. In a way of acknowledging and giving thanks to my current vehicle, the 1% I get to ride around in every day on this leg of my journey, I have created a snapshot of me that I share, a one-self show celebrating my body and the experiences it has endured and enjoyed. I call it Myselfie.
With heartfelt and humorous storytelling, song and dance, Myselfie is my mission to create a meaningful spectacle that will engage, entertain and empower people of all ages but particularly teens and preteens toward healthy body image, self-esteem and self-expression. I believe that if we can all nurture love and levity within ourselves we will be able to do it for others in an infectious and sustainable way.
I have been collaborating and workshopping Myselfie over the past couple of months for live audiences onstage and in high school classroom setting and am thrilled with what has evolved through exploration and thoughtful generous feedback from wise and lovely folk. I thank you all, you know who you are. Maybe you’re one of you reading this right now! Special thanks to Harrison Fine, Karl Machat, Heather Hill and Deanna Wilkins for allowing Myselfie to breathe life in their space. Special thanks to Tracey Erin Smith and Soulotheatre for turning the disco lights on and starting the dance; to Chris Veldhoven, Lori Murphy, Brian Finch, Domini Anderson and Eleni Theodoulou for playing and loving. I KNOW! 😉 (Another blog coming soon about my mind-blowing experience with Soulotheatre.)
Photography by James Alan
I am pleased as pie— mmmm pie— to be presenting a full version of Myselfie on Saturday July 4th in conjunction with Helene Richard’s one-woman show Dysfunctional French Woman for Roof’s Off! Speaking of pie, this double whammy happens right at Cafe Chez Helene at 1437 Kingston Road (at Warden) in Toronto. Doors open at 7pm, I perform at 8pm, and Helene performs at 9pm. Admission is $30 at the door and you can save $10 buying in advance. Please join! We would love to have you with us!
ROOF’S OFF! Myselfie and Dysfunctional French Woman
JULY 4th 2015 Doors 7pm, Show 8pm
Cafe Chez Helene at 1437 Kingston Road (at Warden)
Tix $30 at Door, $20 in advance through PayPal link on Facebook Event or contact us!
Hope to see yourselfie there!
Love and such, Kat xoxoxo